- to strike with a resounding blow
- Dialectal to beat or thrash
- a whanging noise
- a whack or blow
- a thong of leather
- leather for thongs, etc.
Origin: altered < ME thwang, thong
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- A thong or whip of hide or leather.
- a. A lashing blow, as of a whip.b. The sound of such a blow.
- Vulgar Slang The penis.
- To beat or whip with a thong.
- To beat with a sharp blow or blows.
Origin: Dialectal variant of Middle English thong, thwang, thong; see thong.
Informalverb whanged, whang·ing, whangs verb, transitive