Variant of weed
- any undesired, uncultivated plant, esp. one growing in profusion so as to crowd out a desired crop, disfigure a lawn, etc.
- tobacco: with the
- a cigar or cigarette
- something useless; specif., a horse that is unfit for racing or breeding
Origin: ME weede < OE weod, akin to LowG wēd: base only in WGmc
- to remove the weeds from (a garden, lawn, etc.)
- to remove (a weed): often with out
- to remove as useless, harmful, etc.: often with out
- to rid of elements regarded as useless, harmful, etc.
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.