- any of numerous small passerine birds (family Motacillidae) mostly native to Europe, characterized by long wing feathers and a very long tail that wags up and down
- any of various similar birds, as an American waterthrush
Any of various chiefly Eurasian or African insectivorous birds of the family Motacillidae, having a slender body with a long tail that constantly wags.
- Starlings (muku-dori) are numerous, and so are the wagtail (sekirei), the swallow (tsubame) the martin (ten), the woodchat (mozu) and the jay (kakesu or kashi-dori), but the magpie (tOgarasu), though common in China, is rare in Japan.
- Birds of passage include the buzzard, kite, quail, wild fowl of various kinds, golden thrush, wagtail, linnet, finch and nightingale.
- Characteristic types common to the whole country are the teal, snipe, golden plover and wagtail.