Variant of wad
- a small, soft mass or ball, as a handful of cotton, crumpled paper, etc.
- a lump or small, compact mass (of something): a wad of chewing tobacco
- a mass of soft or fibrous material used for padding, packing, stuffing, etc.
- a plug of hemp, tow, paper, etc. stuffed against a charge to keep it firmly in the breech of a muzzleloading gun or in a cartridge
- ☆ Informal a roll of paper money
- ☆ Slang a large amount, esp. of money
Origin of wadMedieval Latin wadda, wadding ; from uncertain or unknown; perhaps