- a person who carries a verge before a bishop, dean, etc. in a procession
- a church caretaker or usher
Origin of vergerME: see verge and -er
- One who carries the verge or other emblem of authority before a scholastic, legal, or religious dignitary in a procession.
- One who takes care of the interior of a church and acts as an attendant during ceremonies.
- One who carries a verge, or emblem of office.
- (chiefly UK) A lay person who takes care of the interior of a church and acts as an attendant during services, where he or she carries the verge (virge). An usher; in major ecclesiastical landmarks, a tour guide. In the United States, the office is generally combined with that of sexton.
- (UK) An attendant upon a dignitary, such as a bishop or dean, a justice, etc.