Map and flag of Venezuela.Licensed from iStockPhoto
- country in N South America: 352,143 sq mi (912,047 sq km); pop. 19,405,000; cap. Caracas: official name Bolivarian Republic of Venezuela
- inlet of the Caribbean, on the NW coast of Venezuela: c. 150 mi (241 km) wide
- Venezuelan adjective, noun
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- Venˌe·zueˈlan adjective & n.
, Gulf of
Venezuela - Cultural Definition
Republic in northern South America, bordered by the Caribbean Sea to the north, Guyana to the east, Brazil to the south, and Colombia to the southwest and west. Its capital and largest city is Caracas.
- Venezuela is rich in oil, which accounts for about ninety percent of its export income. Because of its revenue from oil, Venezuela has the highest per capita national income in Latin America. It was a founder of the Organization of Petroleum Exporting Countries (OPEC).
- Venezuela became independent from Spain in 1821.