- UT is defined as an abbreviation for Utah and for Universal Time.
- An example of UT is what you'd write for the state on a letter you're sending to Utah.
- An example of UT is what is written on a time stamp online for the time that an earthquake occurred.
- Ut is a symbol for the musical tone of C.
An example of ut is how you'd write the C tone instead of writing do.
Music a syllable formerly used in solmization: now replaced by do
Origin of utMiddle English ; from ML: see gamut
- Universal Time
A syllable representing the tone C, otherwise represented by do, in the French system of solmization.
Origin of utMiddle English, from Medieval Latin; see gamut.
- universal time
- or Ut. Utah
- (music, dated) Syllable (formerly) used in solfège to represent the first note of a major scale.
- In solfège, ut has been replaced by do.