A kitchen being updated with a new appliance.
- The definition of an update is a report with new information, or a new statement or status on a social networking site.
- An example of an update is a news bulletin about a fire.
- An example of an update is a new post on Twitter.
- To update is to make something current, to bring to a modern standard, or to write a new status for a social networking site.
- An example of to update is to buy new appliances for a kitchen.
- An example of to update is to change your status on Facebook.
transitive verb-·dat′ed, -·dat′ing
- an act or instance of updating
- an updated account, report, etc.
transitive verbup·dat·ed, up·dat·ing, up·dates
- To alter so as to be up to date: update a textbook; update the files.
- To inform (someone) with the latest information.
- Information that updates something or someone.
- The act or an instance of bringing something or someone up to date.
- An updated version of something.
- An advisement providing more up-to-date information than currently known.
- He gave me an update on the situation in New York
- A change in information, a modification of existing or known data.
- I just made an update to the Wikipedia article on guerillas
- An additional piece of information. An addition to existing information.
- I just made an update to my blog about my trip to Rome
- A modification of something to a more recent, up-to-date version; (in software) a minor upgrade.
- Our database receives an update every morning at 3 AM
- I have a couple of updates to install on your laptop
- A version of something which is newer than other versions.
- "You should try the update: it rocks."
(third-person singular simple present updates, present participle updating, simple past and past participle updated)
- To bring (a thing) up to date.
- I need to update my records to take account of the most recent transaction.
- To bring (a person) up to date: to inform (a person) about recent developments.
- Update me on what happened while I was away.
From up- +"Ž date.
update - Computer Definition
- A manipulation involving adding, modifying, or deleting data to bring a file or database upto-date.
- A relatively minor release or version upgrade to an existing software product that adds minor features or corrects bugs. An update generally is denoted by a decimal fraction notation in the version number, such as 6.1 as an update to 6.0. See also bug, bug fix, patch, and upgrade.
To change data in a file or database or to upgrade software to a new version. Update and Edit The terms "update" and "edit" are used synonymously to make changes to text, data, images and video. "Update" is also used to change the source code of software. Update and Upgrade The terms "update" and "upgrade" are used synonymously to refer to installing new versions of software. However, "update" refers to changes within the same version, while "upgrade" means switching to an entirely new version (upgrades are huge updates). Examples are: "I kept updating the free version, but I decided to upgrade to the premium version." "Microsoft kept updating Windows 7 but I finally upgraded to Windows 8." See edit and upgradable.