- beyond the sea
Origin of ultramarineMedieval Latin ultramarinus: see ultra- and marine
- a blue pigment originally made by grinding lapis lazuli to a powder
- a blue pigment of similar chemical composition prepared from other substances
- any of certain other pigments: yellow ultramarine
- deep blue
- a. A blue pigment made from powdered lapis lazuli.b. A similar pigment made synthetically by heating clay, sodium carbonate, and sulfur together.
- A vivid or strong blue to purplish blue.
- Of the color ultramarine.
- Of or from a place beyond the sea.
Origin of ultramarineFrom Medieval Latin ultrāmarīnus from beyond the sea Latin ultrā ultra- Latin marīnus of the sea ( from mare sea ; see mori- in Indo-European roots.)
(comparative more ultramarine, superlative most ultramarine)
- Of a brilliant blue colour.
- Beyond the sea.