- Present participle of tree.
Variant of tree
- a woody perennial plant with one main stem or trunk which develops many branches, usually at some height above the ground
- a treelike bush or shrub: a rose tree
- a wooden beam, bar, pole, post, stake, etc.
- anything resembling a tree in form, as in having a stem and branches; specif.,
- family tree
- Chem. a treelike formation of crystals
- the cross on which Jesus was crucified
- a gallows
Origin of treeMiddle English ; from Old English trēow, akin to Gothic triu, Old Norse trē ; from Indo-European base an unverified form deru-, tree, probably origin, originally oak tree from source Classical Greek drys, oak, (den)dron, tree
up a tree☆
Informal in a situation without escape; cornered