Variant of toy
- amorous behavior; flirtation
- pastime; sport
- a thing of little value or importance; trifle
- a little ornament; bauble; trinket
- any article to play with, esp. a plaything for children
- any small thing, person, or animal; specif., a dog of a small breed, esp. one of the toy breeds
Origin: ME toye in toysense (< ?); other senses < ? MDu toi, finery, ornament; akin to Ger zeug, ON tygi, stuff, gear, prob. akin to tug
- like a toy, or plaything, in size, use, etc.
- designating a breed of dog of a small kind kept as a pet or companion: a toy poodle
- of or being a model, figure, etc., esp. a miniature one, designed to be played with as a toy: a toy soldier, toy fire engine, toy stove
- of, containing, or having to do with toys: toy box, toy store
- to play or trifle (with a thing, an idea, etc.)
- to engage in flirtation; dally
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.