Variant of torment
- Obsolete an instrument of torture or the torture inflicted
- great pain or anguish, physical or mental; suffering; agony
- a source of pain, anxiety, or annoyance
Origin: OFr from Classical Latin tormentum, a rack, instrument of torture, torture, pain, origin, originally , machine for twisting or throwing from torquere, to twist, whirl around, fling: see tort
- Rare to torture
- to cause great physical pain or mental anguish in
- to annoy, harass, or tease
- Obsolete to stir up; agitate
Origin: ME tormenten < OFr tourmenter < the n.
- tormentingly adverb
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.