- any of a genus (Dentaria) of small woodland plants of the crucifer family, having scaly or toothed, pungent rhizomes and white or pinkish flowers in spring
- any of a genus (Lathraea) of European parasitic plants of the broomrape family, having a rhizome covered with tooth-shaped scales
- Any of several eastern North American plants of the genus Cardamine of the mustard family, such as crinkleroot, having fibrous or fleshy rhizomes and palmately divided leaves.
- A Eurasian plant (Lathraea squamata) of the figwort family, having scaly cream-colored or pink stems and pinkish flowers.
Origin of toothwortFrom the toothlike divisions of the underground stems Sense 2, from its tooth-shaped scales
- Any of several species of flowering plants, of the genus Lathraea.