- any of various drums, as of Indian or African tribes, usually beaten with the hands
- a kind of drum used in jazz and popular music that has a sound higher and less resonant than a bass drum
Origin of tom-tomHindi ?am?am: see tam-tam
- A mid-sized drum having one or two heads and a cylindrical body with a depth approximately equal to its diameter, often used in drum sets. Also called tom .
- Any of various small-headed drums, usually long and narrow, that are beaten with the hands.
- A monotonous rhythmical drumbeat or similar sound.
Origin of tom-tomHindi &tlowdot;am&tlowdot;am probably of imitative origin
(plural Tom Toms)
- a particular brand of GPS system.
- (Through trademark erosion) any similar device.