- The definition of a toggle is a rod, bolt or pin that's put through the hole of a chain or rope to fasten or tighten.
An example of a toggle is a rod and circle clasp of a necklace.
- Toggle is defined as to go back and forth between two choices.
An example of toggle is moving the switch on a light switch up or down to turn the lights on or off.
toggle definition by Webster's New World
- a rod, pin, or bolt for insertion between the strands or through a loop of a rope, through a link of a chain, etc. to make an attachment, prevent slipping, or tighten by twisting
- a toggle joint or a device having one
- Comput. a key or command for turning a setting, function, etc. on or off
Origin: probably naut. variant, variety of dialect, dialectal tuggle, frequentative of tug
toggle definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- A pin, rod, or crosspiece fitted or inserted into a loop in a rope, chain, or strap to prevent slipping, to tighten, or to hold an attached object.
- A device or an apparatus with a toggle joint.
Origin: Origin unknown.
toggle - Computer Definition
To alternate back and forth between two states by pressing or clicking the same button. For example, the "Last" button on a TV remote control alternates between the last two TV channels selected. In Windows, pressing Alt-Tab switches the user between the last two open application windows that were selected. See toggle switch.