Variant of toe
- any of the five jointed parts at the front of the human foot; digit
- the forepart of the human foot
- the part of a shoe, sock, etc. that covers the toes
- any of the digits of an animal's foot, or the forepart of a hoof, etc.
- anything suggesting a toe in location, shape, or function; specif.,
- a pivot or journal extending vertically in a bearing
- a projecting arm raised or moved by a cam
Origin: Middle English to from Old English ta, earlier tahe, akin to German zehe from Indo-European base an unverified form dei-, to show from source teach, Classical Latin dicere, to say, digitus
- to provide with a toe or toes
- to touch, kick, etc. with the toes: to toe a starting line
- to drive (a nail) slantingly
- to clinch or fasten with nails driven slantingly; toenail
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.