former fort in NE N.Y., taken from the British by the Green Mountain Boys in 1775
Origin of TiconderogaMohawk tekontaró:ken, literally , at the junction of two waterways
An unincorporated community of northeast New York between Lake George and Lake Champlain. Fort Carillon, built by the French in 1755, was taken in 1759 by the British, who renamed it Fort Ticonderoga. American Revolutionary troops captured the fort in May 1775, but it was later abandoned without a struggle to British forces in July 1777 during the Saratoga Campaign.