- a recurring sound like the ticking of a clock
- a device for making a tapping sound on a windowpane or door as a prank: it consists typically of a weight hung next to the window, etc. and manipulated from a distance by a string
Origin of ticktackechoic reduplicated, reduplication of tick
- A steady ticking sound, as of a clock.
- A prankster's device for tapping on a door or window from a distance.
Origin of ticktackImitative
- Dated form of tick tock.
- A noise like that made by a clock or a watch.
- A kind of backgammon played with both men and pegs; tricktrack.
Part or all of this entry has been imported from the 1913 edition of Webster's Dictionary, which is now free of copyright and hence in the public domain. The imported definitions may be significantly out of date, and any more recent senses may be completely missing.