- a recurring sound like the ticking of a clock
- a device for making a tapping sound on a windowpane or door as a prank: it consists typically of a weight hung next to the window, etc. and manipulated from a distance by a string
Origin of ticktackechoic reduplicated, reduplication of tick
- A steady ticking sound, as of a clock.
- A prankster's device for tapping on a door or window from a distance.
Origin of ticktackImitative.
- Dated form of tick tock.
- A noise like that made by a clock or a watch.
- A kind of backgammon played with both men and pegs; tricktrack.
Part or all of this entry has been imported from the 1913 edition of Websterâ€™s Dictionary, which is now free of copyright and hence in the public domain. The imported definitions may be significantly out of date, and any more recent senses may be completely missing.