The definition of threadbare is something worn down to the threads, or old clothes.
An old dress that is practically in taters is an example of something that would be described as threadbare.
- worn down so that the threads show; having the nap or surface fibers worn off: threadbare rugs
- wearing old, worn clothes; shabby
- that has lost freshness or novelty; stale: a threadbare argument
- cheap, shabby, etc.
- Having the nap worn down so that the filling or warp threads show through; frayed or shabby: threadbare rugs.
- Wearing old, shabby clothing.
- Overused to the point of being worn out; hackneyed: threadbare excuses.
(comparative more threadbare, superlative most threadbare)