An old dress that is practically in taters is an example of something that would be described as threadbare.
- worn down so that the threads show; having the nap or surface fibers worn off: threadbare rugs
- wearing old, worn clothes; shabby
- that has lost freshness or novelty; stale: a threadbare argument
- cheap, shabby, etc.
- Having the nap worn down so that the filling or warp threads show through; frayed or shabby: threadbare rugs.
- Wearing old, shabby clothing.
- Overused to the point of being worn out; hackneyed: threadbare excuses.
(comparative more threadbare, superlative most threadbare)