An example of Third World is Somalia.
- those countries and territories, chiefly of Africa and Asia, once thought of as being outside the worlds, or spheres of influence, of the Western capitalist nations and the Soviet bloc
- the poor and economically underdeveloped countries of the world collectively
Origin of Third Worldtranslated, translation of French tiers monde, coined (1952) by A. Sauvy (1898-1990), French economist and sociologist
also third world
- The developing nations of Africa, Asia, and Latin America.
- During the Cold War, the nations not aligned with the First World or the Second World.
- Third′ World′er
- Alternative spelling of Third World.
(comparative more third-world, superlative most third-world)
- Of or from the Third World.
third world - Investment & Finance Definition
A name given to the least developed countries in the world. Typically these countries are located in Africa and parts of Asia and South America.