Variant of thatch
- a roof or roofing of straw, rushes, palm leaves, etc.
- material for such a roof
- any of a number of palms whose leaves are used for thatchalso thatch palm
- anything suggestive of thatch on a roof as
- the hair growing on the head
- a matted layer of partly decayed leaves, stems, etc. between growing vegetation and the soil
Origin: altered (based on the verb ) from older thack from Middle English thac from Old English thæc, a thatch, roof: for base see thatchthe
- to cover with or as with thatch
Origin: ME thecchen < OE thecc(e)an, akin to Ger decken, to cover < IE base *(s)teg-, to cover > Gr stegos, roof, L tegere, to cover
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.