Thanksgiving Day definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- The fourth Thursday of November, observed as a legal holiday in the United States to commemorate the feast held at Plymouth in 1621 by the Pilgrim colonists and members of the Wampanoag people and marked by the giving of thanks to God for harvest and health.
- The second Monday of October, celebrated in Canada by the giving of thanks to God for harvest and health.
Variant of thanksgiving
- the act of giving thanks
- an expression of this; esp., a formal, often public, expression of thanks to God in the form of a prayer, etc.
- ☆ in full Thanksgiving Day
- an annual U.S. holiday observed on the fourth Thursday of November as a day of giving thanks and feasting: it commemorates the Pilgrims' celebration of the good harvest of 1621
- a similar Canadian holiday on the second Monday of October