- country in SE Asia, on the Indochinese & Malay peninsulas: 198,114 sq mi (513,113 sq km); pop. 54,532,000; cap. Bangkok: abbrev.
- arm of the South China Sea, between the Malay & Indochinese peninsulas
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
Thailand - Cultural Definition
Constitutional monarchy in southern Southeast Asia, bordered by Burma to the west and northwest, Laos to the north and east, Cambodia to the southeast, and the Gulf of Siam (an arm of the Pacific Ocean) and Malaysia to the south. Its capital and largest city is Bangkok.
- Thailand was formerly called Siam.
- Strongly supported the United States during the Vietnam War, Thailand was the site of American air bases until 1976, when relations with the United States deteriorated.
- During the early 1990s, its economy became one of the strongest in Asia, but it experienced a sharp downturn in the mid-1990s.