- a private or intimate conversation between two people
- a usually -shaped seat on which two people can sit so as to face each other
Origin of tête-à-têteFr, literally , head-to-head
for or of two people in private
together privately: to speak tête-à-tête
Without the intrusion of a third person; in intimate privacy: talk tête-à-tête; a tête-à-tête supper.
- A private conversation between two persons.
- A sofa for two, especially an S-shaped one allowing the occupants to face each other.
Origin of tete-a-teteFrench tête head ( from Late Latin testa skull ; see teston . ) à to tête head
c. 1850-1860 American
tête-à-tête attributed to
John H. Belter (1804-1863)
- Alternative spelling of tÃªte-Ã -tÃªte.