The definition of a target language is a language that someone is learning, or a language into which a text has to be translated.
An example of a target language is Italian for a native born German who is just moving to Italy.
- the language into which a text in a given language is to be translated
- a language other than one's own that one is learning
- The language into which a text written in another language is to be translated.
- A language that a nonnative speaker is in the process of learning.
- Computers The computer language, often a machine language, into which a document written in another computer language is to be translated. Also called In all senses also called object language .
(plural target languages)
- (linguistics, translation studies) The language into which a translation is done.
- (computing) The machine language into which source code is to be compiled