Origin of TampaSpanish from name of a town of the Calusa, an extinct Indian people of southern Florida
A city of west-central Florida on Tampa Bay, an inlet of the Gulf of Mexico. Established as a fort in 1824, the city developed as a cattle center and port of entry.x
- TAMPA, a city and the county seat of Hillsboro county, Florida, U.S.A., in the western part of the state, at the head of Hillsborough Bay (the E.
- Branch of Tampa Bay), at the mouth of the Hillsborough river.
- It is served by the Tampa Northern, the Atlantic Coast Line and the Seaboard Air Line railways, and by lines of steamers to the West Indies and to the Gulf and Atlantic ports of the United States.
- The larger vessels enter at Port Tampa (pop. in 1905, 1049), 9 m.
- Side of the peninsula separating Hillsborough Bay from Old Tampa Bay, the W.