- spin (noun)also tail spin
- a state of rapidly increasing depression or confusion
- The rapid descent of an aircraft in a steep, spiral spin.
- Informal A loss of emotional control sometimes resulting in emotional collapse.
- The rapid, uncontrollable descent of an aircraft in a steep spiral.
- The loss of the third engine threw the plane into a tailspin.
- A severe mental or emotional collapse; emotional breakdown.
- Just hours after leaving the institution, she suffered another tailspin.
- Any sharp, sustained, often uncontrollable descent or decline.