nounpl. swab·bies Slang
Origin of swabbieswab + –y3.
- Alternative spelling of swabby.
Variant of swab
- a yarn mop, usually used wet, for cleaning decks, floors, etc.
- a small piece of cotton, cloth, sponge, etc. used to apply medicine to, or clean discharged matter from, the throat, mouth, etc.
- matter collected in this way
- a brush, wad of cloth, etc. on a long handle, for cleaning the barrel of a gun
- Slang a clumsy, loutish person
- a sailor
- ☆ an enlisted man in the U.S. Navy
Origin of swabcontr. ; from swabber