- to put down by force; subdue; quell; crush
- to abolish by authority
- to keep from appearing or being known, published, etc.: to suppress a news story, a book, etc.
- to keep back; restrain; check: to suppress a laugh, a cough, etc.
- to check or stop (a natural flow, secretion, or excretion)
- Electronics to eliminate or weaken (an unwanted oscillation, echo, etc.) in a circuit
- Psychiatry to consciously dismiss from the mind (unacceptable ideas, impulses, etc.)
ME suppressen < L suppressus, pp. of supprimere, to press under, suppress < sub-, sub- + premere, to press