Variant of strophe
- in the ancient Greek theater,
- the movement of the chorus in turning from right to left of the stage
- the part of the choric song performed during this
- in a Pindaric ode, the stanza which is answered by the antistrophe, in the same metrical pattern
- a stanza; esp., any of the irregular divisions of a poem
Origin: Gr strophē, literally , a turning, twist from strephein, to turn from Indo-European an unverified form strebh- from base an unverified form (s)ter-, rigid, taut from source stare
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.