city & port in NE France, on the Rhine: pop. 252,000
A city of northeast France near the German border east of Nancy. Originally a free imperial city of the Holy Roman Empire, it was occupied by France in 1681, passed to Germany in 1871, and was recovered by France in 1919. It now serves as the seat of the parliament of the European Union.