noun pl. stories
- the telling of a happening or connected series of happenings, whether true or fictitious; account; narration
- an anecdote or joke
- a fictitious literary composition in prose or poetry, shorter than a novel; narrative; tale; specif., short story
- the form of literature represented by such compositions
- the plot of a novel, play, film, etc.
- a report or rumor
- Informal a falsehood or fib
- romantic legend or history
- a news event or a report of it
- Informal the pertinent facts or circumstances relating to a particular person, situation, etc., esp. such facts not widely known or previously revealed: what's his story? what's the story on your firing?
- Informal the situation with regard to the subject being discussed; the aggregate of facts or circumstances involved: what's the story on the hostages?
ME storie < OFr estoire < L historia: see history
transitive verb storied, storying
- Archaic to tell the story of
- to decorate with paintings, etc. representing scenes from history or legend