- a pigeon or other bird used as a decoy
- a person serving as a decoy
- Informal a spy or informer, esp. for the policealso stoolienoun
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- Slang A person acting as a decoy or as an informer, especially one who is a spy for the police.
- A pigeon used as a decoy.
Origin: From the practice of tying decoy pigeons to a stool to attract other pigeons.
stool pigeon - Cultural Definition
An informer, especially for the police: “Lefty figured out that Mugsy was the stool pigeon when he saw him talking to the warden.”