spatchcock definition by Webster's New World
Webster's New World College Dictionary Copyright © 2010 by Wiley Publishing, Inc., Cleveland, Ohio. Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- to split open and broil (a fowl)
- to interpolate (a word or words) in or into a text, often hastily or inappropriately
- to put together so as to form a unit or whole, often a clumsy or incongruous one
spatchcock definition by American Heritage Dictionary
A dressed and split chicken for roasting or broiling on a spit.transitive verb spatch·cocked, spatch·cock·ing, spatch·cocks
- To prepare (a dressed chicken) for grilling by splitting open.
- To introduce or interpose, especially in a labored or unsuitable manner: “Some excerpts from a Renaissance mass are spatchcocked into Gluck's pallid Don Juan music” (Alan Rich).
Origin: Perhaps alteration of spitchcock, a way of cooking an eel.