- any of a family (Passeridae) of Old World passerine birds, including the English sparrow
- any of various New World passerine birds (family Emberizidae), including the song sparrow and white-throated sparrow
- any of several other similar birds, as the hedge or Java sparrows
Origin of sparrowMiddle English sparwe from Old English spearwa, akin to Middle High German sparwe from Indo-European base an unverified form sper-, bird name, especially for sparrow from source Classical Greek sporgilos, sparrow, psar, starling
- Any of various small birds of the family Emberizidae, having brownish or grayish plumage and found throughout the Americas, such as the song sparrow.
- Any of various birds of the family Passeridae, especially the house sparrow.
- Any of various similar birds of other families, such as the Java sparrow.
Origin of sparrowMiddle English sparowe from Old English spearwa
- A surname.