- a. Giving off tiny flashes of light; glittery: a dress with sparkly sequins.b. Lively; vivacious: a sparkly personality.
- Effervescent: sparkly cider.
Variant of sparkle
intransitive verbsparkled, sparkling
- to throw off sparks
- to gleam or shine in flashes; glitter or glisten, as jewels, sunlit water, etc.
- to be brilliant and lively: sparkling wit
- to effervesce or bubble: said of soda water and some wines
Origin of sparkleMiddle English sparklen, frequentative of sparken, to spark
to cause to sparkle
- a spark or glowing particle
- a sparkling, or glittering
- brilliance; liveliness; vivacity