- The solar system is a group of planets or celestial bodies that revolve around a sun.
An example of the solar system is the eight planets including Earth that revolve around the sun.
- that portion of our galaxy which is subject to the gravity of the sun
- all the matter within this portion, including interplanetary dust or gas; esp., the sun itself and its planets
- often Solar System The sun together with the eight planets and all other celestial bodies that orbit the sun.
- A system of planets or other bodies orbiting a star.
- The Solar System; the Sun and all the objects in orbit around it.
(plural solar systems)
- As Sol is the name of our star, this phrase is usually used to refer specifically to our own sun and planets (the Sol system), in which case it is used with the and generally capitalised (as the Solar system or the Solar System). Other systems are then known as star systems or planetary systems, or specified by the name of the individual star (the Alpha Centauri system).