- to make sleek, glossy, or smooth
- Informal to make smart, neat, or tidy: usually with up
ME slikien < OE slician, to make smooth, akin to ON slikr, smooth < IE *(s)leig-, slimy, to smooth, glide < base *(s)lei-: see slide
- sleek; glossy; smooth
- slippery; oily, as a surface
- accomplished; adept; clever; ingenious
- Informal clever in deception or trickery; deceptively plausible; smooth: a slick alibi
- Informal having or showing skill in composition or technique but little depth or literary significance: a slick style of writing
- Slang excellent, fine, enjoyable, attractive, etc.
ME slike < the v.
smoothly, cleverly, deftly, easily, etc.