- a timed Alpine race downhill over a zigzag course marked by flag-topped poles, or gatescf. giant slalom
- any race over a zigzag course similarly marked
Origin of slalomNorw, ski track with an even slope from dialect, dialectal slad, sloping gently + lom, trail
to take part in a slalom
- The act or sport of moving or racing in a zigzag course, as in skiing or kayaking.
- A race that follows a zigzag course, laid out with markers such as flags.
intransitive verbsla·lomed, sla·lom·ing, sla·loms
- To move or race in a slalom.
- To water-ski using a single ski designed so the feet are secured one behind the other.
Origin of slalomNorwegian slalåm slad sloping låm path
- sla′lom·er sla′lom·ist