skunk cabbageskunk cabbage
- a perennial E North American plant (Symplocarpus foetidus) of the arum family, growing in wet soil and having large, cabbagelike leaves, a spadix of small flowers concealed in a purple, hooded spathe, and a disagreeable smell
- a similar plant (Lysichitum americanum) of the arum family of W North America
- A foul-smelling aroid plant (Symplocarpus foetidus) of eastern North American wetlands, having small flowers on a spadix enclosed in a greenish or purplish spathe and blooming early in the spring.
- A similar aroid plant (Lysichiton americanus) of western North America, having a bright yellow, stalked spathe.
western skunk cabbage
(plural skunk cabbages)
- Any of several leafy, foul-smelling plants.
- Symplocarpus foetidus, a low-growing plant native to the wetlands of eastern North America.
- Lysichiton americanus, a low-growing plant native to the wetlands of western North America.
- Lysichiton camtschatcense, a low-growing plant native to the wetlands of eastern Asia.