Variant of skirt
- that part of a dress, coat, robe, etc. that hangs below the waist
- a woman's garment of varying length that hangs down from the waist
- something like a skirt, as a flap hanging from the side of a saddle or one covering the legs of a sofa, chair, etc.
- the outer or bordering parts; outskirts, as of a city
- Slang a girl or woman: sometimes considered mildly offensive
Origin: Middle English from Old Norse skyrt, shirt, kirtle, akin to Old English scyrte, shirt
- to lie along or form the border or edge of
- to move along the edge of or pass around rather than through
- to miss narrowly
- to avoid (something controversial, difficult, etc.)
- to border or edge with something
- skirter noun
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.