- that part of a dress, coat, robe, etc. that hangs below the waist
- a woman's garment of varying length that hangs down from the waist
- something like a skirt, as a flap hanging from the side of a saddle or one covering the legs of a sofa, chair, etc.
- the outer or bordering parts; outskirts, as of a city
- Slang a girl or woman: sometimes considered mildly offensive
ME < ON skyrt, shirt, kirtle, akin to OE scyrte, shirt
to be on, or move along, the edge or border: a path skirting along the pond