It is important to get a skin cancer screening once a year with a dermatologist if there is a history of skin cancer in the family.
- Typically caused by ultraviolet radiation from the sun.
- Most commonly diagnosed form of cancer.
- Some form of skin cancer is diagnosed in over one million people in the U.S. each year.
- Some cases of skin cancer may be hereditary and can run in families.
- Frequently utilizing tanning booths
- Any deficiency of the immune system
- Exposure to high levels of x-rays
- Chemicals including arsenic and polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons
- An example of skin cancer is basal cell cancer, an uncontrolled growth in the deepest skin layer, which is the most common skin cancer.
- An example of skin cancer is melanoma, a change in the melanocytes which produce the skin pigment melanin. This is the most dangerous skin cancer.
- An example of skin cancer is squamous-cell carcinoma, the uncontrolled multiplication of epithelium cells.
The definition of skin cancer is a malignant growth on the skin.
Facts About Skin Cancer
- (oncology, pathology) A malignant growth on the skin, such as melanoma.