a brief symphony, usually for a small orchestra
Origin of sinfoniettaItalian diminutive of sinfonia: see sinfonia
- A symphony that is shorter than usual or requires fewer instruments than usual.
- A small symphony orchestra, especially one consisting of stringed instruments only.
Origin of sinfoniettaItalian, diminutive of sinfonia, sinfonia; see sinfonia.
(plural sinfoniettas or sinfoniette)
- from the Italian sinfonietta;
- formed on the Italian roots sinfonia (“symphony”) + -etta (feminine diminutive suffix), either in English or in German (as Sinfonietta) and adopted thence; or,
- an alteration of the French symphoniette to resemble an Italian construction of the form sinfonia + -etta.