Second banana is the sidekick to a funny person on a comedy team who is serious, in contrast to the funny person.
An example of second banana is Bill Murray in Kingpin.
- a performer in show business, esp. burlesque, who plays a subordinate role, as straight man, to the top banana, or star comedian
- any person in a subordinate, often servile, position
Origin of second bananasee top banana
- One, such as an assistant or deputy, who is subordinate to another.
- One who serves as the straight man opposite the leading comedian in a burlesque.
(plural second bananas)
- (idiomatic) A comedian who plays a secondary or supporting role, especially as straight man and traditionally in vaudeville or burlesque theatre.
- He grew disenchanted with playing second banana and never getting credit for the laughter.
- (idiomatic) A person who serves in a supporting, secondary, or subsidiary capacity; an assistant.
- The plumber left his second banana behind, to finish installing my new sink.
- top banana
- second fiddle