Xavier doesn't mind playing second banana to Soulja because his dog's antics are very popular on Instagram and they have thousands of followers.
An example of second banana is Bill Murray in Kingpin.
- a performer in show business, esp. burlesque, who plays a subordinate role, as straight man, to the top banana, or star comedian
- any person in a subordinate, often servile, position
Origin of second bananasee top banana
- a. A person who supports or is subordinate to another.b. A person who is lesser in status or importance: “It became how he defined himself—the second banana, the second tier, the good but not great” ( Douglas Perry )
- A comedian who plays a supporting role to the leading comedian, especially as a straight man.
- Something that is ranked second in comparison to something that is ranked first: “New York may be second banana to Los Angeles when it comes to the film and television industry, but the city's supporting role is larger than New York officials had realized” ( Terry Pristin )
(plural second bananas)
- (idiomatic) A comedian who plays a secondary or supporting role, especially as straight man and traditionally in vaudeville or burlesque theatre.
- He grew disenchanted with playing second banana and never getting credit for the laughter.
- (idiomatic) A person who serves in a supporting, secondary, or subsidiary capacity; an assistant.
- The plumber left his second banana behind, to finish installing my new sink.
- top banana
- second fiddle