- a form of ancient Greek cup with two handles and a flat bottom
- Bot. a cup-shaped part, as in some flowers
Origin of scyphusClassical Latin from Classical Greek skyphos
- A kind of large drinking cup used in Ancient Greece and Ancient Rome, especially by poor people.
- (botany) The cup of a narcissus, or a similar appendage to the corolla in other flowers.
- (lichenology) A cup-shaped stem or podetium in lichens.
Part or all of this entry has been imported from the 1913 edition of Webster's Dictionary, which is now free of copyright and hence in the public domain. The imported definitions may be significantly out of date, and any more recent senses may be completely missing.
Latin, a cup, from Ancient Greek [script?].