- a graceful, stately, slow Spanish dance in triple time, developed from an earlier lively dance
- a stylized dance of this type used as a movement in a classical suite
Origin of sarabandFrench sarabande from Spanish zarabanda from uncertain or unknown; perhaps
- A fast, erotic dance of the 1500s of Mexico and Spain.
- A stately court dance of the 1600s and 1700s, in slow triple time.
- The music for either of these dances.
Origin of sarabandFrench sarabande from Spanish zarabanda
- A slow Spanish dance of Saracenic origin, to an air in triple time; also, the air itself.
- She has brought us the newest saraband from the court of Queen Mab. -Sir W. Scott.