A city of northern Spain on the Bay of Biscay west-northwest of Bilbao. It was a major port after the discovery of America and is now a resort and industrial center.x
- On the 1st of August 1808 1 They subsequently escaped from Jutland, on British vessels, and reached Santander in October 1808.
- 19) to secure Burgos, the road towards Santander on the coast.
- Santander was now evacuated by the French, and the allied line of communications was changed to that port.
- The city is near the Rio Santander, and was once called Nuevo Santander.
- In Scotland and Ireland its remains are less abundant, and in Scandinavia and Finland they appear to be unknown; but they have been found in vast numbers at various localities throughout the greater part of central Europe (as far south as Santander and Rome), northern Asia, and the northern part of the American continent.