- the hard, light-colored, closegrained, sweet-smelling heartwood of any of several allied trees of Asia, used for carving and cabinetmaking or burned as incense; esp., the wood of a S Asian evergreen tree (Santalum album) of the sandalwood family
- any tree yielding such wood
- any of a number of similar or related trees
- the wood of any of these
Origin: sandal, sandalwood < ME sandell < MFr sandal < ML sandalum < LGr santalon < Ar ṣandal, ult. < Sans candana < IE base *kand-, to gleam, bright > L candere, to shine
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- Any of several tropical Asian trees of the genus Santalum, especially S. album, having aromatic yellowish heartwood used in cabinetmaking and wood carving and yielding an oil used in perfumery.
- Any of several tropical Asian trees of the genera Adenanthera, Myroporum, and Pterocarpus.
- The wood of any of these trees.
- A light to moderate or grayish brown.