- a masculine name: dim. Sam, Sammy
- a Hebrew judge and prophet
- either of the two books (1 Samuel, 2 Samuel) telling of Samuel, Saul, and David: abbrev. S, Sa, Sam, or Sm
Origin of SamuelEcclesiastical Late Latin ; from Ecclesiastical Greek Samou?l ; from Classical Hebrew (language) shemuel, literally , name of God
- 1821-1900; U.S. railroad magnate
- 1731-96; Am. statesman: signer of the Declaration of Independence
Hebrew judge and prophet of the 11th century BC who anointed Saul as king.
Origin of SamuelHebrew š&schwa;mû’ēl, name of God : š&schwa;mû, name; see šm in Semitic roots + ’ēl, God; see ℵl in Semitic roots.
See Table at Bible.
Origin of SamuelAfter Samuel.