Cobbled streets of Saint Andrews.Licensed from iStockPhoto
The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th edition Copyright © 2010 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
A burgh of eastern Scotland southeast of Dundee on Saint Andrews Bay, an inlet of the North Sea. Chartered in 1160, it was an ecclesiastical center during the Middle Ages. It is now primarily a resort known for its golf courses. Population: 10,358.